"" The Exhausted Mom: Sane Cooking ~ Pasta Fagioli

June 24, 2013

Sane Cooking ~ Pasta Fagioli

My Nanny was the greatest woman that I have ever known.  She was so direct and not withholding of any of her thoughts or opinions.  (I wish I were more like that.)

Even though she didn't think so, she was a great cook as well.  She liked to make what she called, "peasant food."  Italian dishes that don't cost a lot of money, but can fill you up and feed a lot of people.  One of my favorite dishes is pasta fagioli, which is essentially pasta with beans.  


This is one of those dishes that I like to make when I'm pressed for time or ideas.  Let's be honest, when it's 6 o'clock and I haven't even started thinking of what to make for dinner.  I keep the ingredients on hand for such cases.


Pasta Fagioli 
(a la Nanny)
 
Ingredients:

1 can cannolini beans (drained) 
1/2 can diced cut tomatoes
1/2 lb small pasta (I like Ditalini)
1-2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
2 TBL olive oil

Preparations:

Boil pasta according to the directions on the box.  Save some of the pasta water after straining.

Sauté garlic in olive oil.  Be careful not to let the garlic brown.  

Add the tomatoes and cook a few minutes in pan.  Then add the drained cannelini beans.  Cook for a few minutes longer to allow the beans to retain the flavor of the tomatoes and garlic.

Combine all ingredients in serving dish.  Top with some of the remaining pasta water.  

Serve with a drizzle of olive oil.  

Buon Apetito!




Alexis

2 comments:

  1. I love simple dishes like this! We make this often and once in a while I'll throw in some chicken and shaved cheese for a little extra something.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers Design Studio